Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Half Way There!!!

I have officially reached the top of the law school hill and am now ready to begin my casual journey downward to the bar (i.e., the Idaho State Bar - I don't drink thanks). This semester was a killer of sorts. It started out fast and furious because I had a ridiculously time consuming accounting class and moot court competition to keep up with. I contemplated dropping accounting up until the last second I could, but decided to stick it out (I'm still not sure why). With both moot court and accounting eating up tons of time it seemed like I barely had enough time to keep up on my other classes. I still don't know what I got on my accounting final that I took back at the end of September and I did a fairly mediocre job in the moot court competition. Nevertheless, we persevered, putting life practically on hold to figure out how to calculate capital gains, among other things. I still haven't figured out why I'm still working on my outlines up until the day before finals rather than doing them throughout the semester so that I can actually study them for the big tests. I guess there's only 24 hours in the day.

Despite the madness of surviving what I hear is the toughest semester of law school, I feel like I'm as happy as I've ever been. One of the keys to my sanity is making sure that Sundays are reserved only for family and spiritual things. It's kind of nice to realize that in the grand scheme of things the daily grind of law school is not the only thing that matters. Natalie and Kennedy are too important to me for them to end up third string on my roster of priorities. I've tried to study at home more so that I have a chance to play with them a little more when I need to relax. And how could a cute little one year old not bring a smile to your face everytime she comes and knocks on your office door to tell you that dinner is ready? The best part is when I open the door and she runs for her life to the table before I can catch her.

Of course now that the semester is over I don't know what to do with myself. We went and celebrated tonight at Wingers and then got caught up on a little t.v. After that I didn't know what else to do besides sign up for my classes for next semester (I'm tentatively taking Evidence, Criminal Procedure, Professional Responsibility, Lawyering Process, Constitutional Law, and either Environmental Law or Negotiable Instruments).
I think the next task I plan to undertake is to make a list of books that I want to read over the break. I've had 1776 by David McCullough sitting on the shelf for awhile. I'm also halfway through the biography, His Excellency: George Washington by Joseph J. Ellis. Those are the tip of the iceberg of what I'd like to read. Of course I also have a few pages to catch up on reading in The Book of Mormon to finish before the end of the year. That's a definite must-do. I hate to say it but I'm only in Helaman. I guess that's nothing that a few days of devoted reading couldn't fix.

No comments: